KENTPRESS RELEASE – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 25TH February 2008 – 27 Audley Avenue, Tonbridge, Kent TN9 1XF - www.kentgreenparty.org 0845 257 4236 – 01732 355185 –
Mobile: 07944 471083
FREE ENERGY FOR KENT
Energy bills have gone up by an average of 15% from most suppliers of electricity and gas. Oil prices have risen by 19% in the last year. And food prices are rising with energy prices – such as bread by 14% in 2007. What steps can households take which will cost them nothing and at the same time help keep down household spending? Dr Hazel Dawe makes these suggestions:
· Cut out all car journeys under two miles, which are currently half of all car journeys in the UK
· Cut non-essential air flights, Europe’s fastest growing source of greenhouse gas emissions – try a holiday in this country
· Ditch any patio heater
· Turn off lights when leaving a room
· Turn off appliances which have standby lights
· Ditch the tumble drier and rely on the wind and/or the airing cupboard. Tumble driers use immense amounts of energy
· Draw the curtains for additional insulation in the evenings
· Dump the 2nd car and use the money to get a shopping trolley and a better bike
· Buy food and other items from businesses you can walk to
· Eliminate food wastage completely. Always compost any organic waste from your kitchen in a wormery or a compost heap.
· Re-use paper whenever possible, to save energy and money. Most printers will print on the reverse side of used paper or you can use the back of the paper for note taking.
ENDS c247 words
FURTHER INFORMATION: Dr Hazel Dawe, Chair, Kent Green Party on 01732 355185 or
Mobile: 07944 471083 Contact address as above.
NB. Further lifestyle ideas can be found at www.kentgreenparty.org under Green Lifestyles