KENT PRESS RELEASE – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Monday 4th August 2008 - 27 Audley Avenue, Tonbridge, Kent TN9 1XF - www.kentgreenparty.org 0845 257 4236 – 01732 355185 – Mobile: 079444 71083
NB. This release may be printed as a letter, where appropriate, at the discretion of the recipient.
A POOR ECONOMIC RISK
Kent Green Party participated in Sunday’s demonstration against a new coal-fired power station at Kingsnorth(1). The Party has identified major economic problems with the proposed new power station. Dr Hazel Dawe, Chair of Kent Green Party, explains:
“First, coal for the new Kingsnorth power station will be imported, which is bad for the UK’s balance of payments. Second, there are no commercial Carbon Capture and Storage systems on any coal fired stations in the world. No one knows what they will cost. Third, recent research suggests that profligate use of coal means global coal supplies will Peak in 2025 and begin to decline, dramatically raising the cost of coal(2). Fourth, the renewal of the Kyoto Agreement on Climate Change and revised rules for the European Union’s Emissions Trading Scheme are both due in 2012. The most likely policy changes are more constraints upon emissions, raising the costs of a new Kingsnorth station still further.
“The Climate Camp at Kingsnorth(3) is emphasizing what should be obvious to the Government, that a new Coal Fired power station is neither economic nor consistent with its own aims on Climate Change. The biggest immediate challenge is to cut energy demand and reduce emissions, as many experts have argued (4). We note that rising energy prices have forced the Government into panic measures to restore cuts it proposed to make in the Warm Front programme designed to insulate the homes of the poorest in our society (5). But our Government is still trying to stop renewable energy sources getting priority access to the National Grid from becoming an EU policy (5). There are more Kent jobs in insulation and renewables than in building a White Elephant at Kingsnorth. ” Ends c 289 words
FURTHER INFORMATION: Dr Hazel Dawe, Chair, Kent Green Party on 01732 355185 or 0845 257 4236 or mobile: 079444 71083 Contact address as above.
1. Related coverage: Coal - Leading environmentalists fear setbacks to the Government’s nuclear programme will mean the green light for a new coal-fired power station at Kingsnorth. Kent News 3rd Aug 2008 http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/Nuclear-setback-improves-the-case-for-coal-power-newsinkent15090.aspx?news=local Channel 4 News: http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/society/environment/environmental+activists+protest+against+coalfired+power+station/2375372 http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kol08/article/default.asp?article_id=45799 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7538956.stm http://www.itvlocal.com/meridian/news/
2. See the full report at: http://www.energywatchgroup.org/fileadmin/global/pdf/EWG_Report_Coal_10-07-2007ms.pdf
3. The full programme of workshops at the Climate Camp at Kingsnorth – with events every day from Monday 4th August, can be found at: http://climatecamp.org.uk/themes/ccamptheme/files/Workshops8-7.xls
4. Comments by Professor Kevin Anderson, of the Tyndal Centre, to the Institute of Public Policy Research conference on The future of flying in a world of High prices, London: 25th July 2008.
5. The Guardian, 4TH August 2008.
6. From documents leaked to the Guardian, 24th July 2008.