PRESS RELEASE – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 7th February 2009 - 27 Audley Avenue, Tonbridge, Kent TN9 1XF - www.kentgreenparty.org 0845 257 4236 – 01732 355185 – 07747 036192
KENT GREEN PARTY LAUNCHES IT’S MANIFESTO
Kent Green Party has launched its manifesto for the Kent County Council elections to be held on 4th June 2009. Steve Dawe comments:
“Some key messages in the Kent Green Party manifesto, GREENING KENT, for the Kent County Elections in 2009 are:
• Supporting new allotments and organic farming throughout Kent.
• Abolition of the County Council and its replacement by Unitary Authorities, with boundaries decided by local referenda.
• The creation of a road user hierarchy for Kent and Medway putting pedestrians and walking first in terms of spending, then cyclists, then buses, coaches, taxis, light goods vans and HGVs. This would be funded in part by charging foreign vehicles for using Kent’s roads.
• Expansion of sustainable forms of tourism, and conversion of Kent’s airport to all-weather leisure facilities and other uses
• Abolishing the eleven plus (Kent Test) for secondary education..
• Energy Conservation, renewable energy and particularly solar installations on homes all offer significant employment potential, as does promoting the move of the Civil Service out of London to brownfield sites in Kent.
• Reviewing disaster planning in the light of climate change, the limited provision for nuclear accidents, the many flood-prone areas, under-protected coastlines and the very poor provision for severe winters.
• Promoting a shift in spending on policing in Kent towards crime prevention, giving more resources to community crime prevention schemes and Neighbourhood Watch.
• Using available resources to promote healthy diets and the use of organic foods, in co-operation with Health Promotion Teams.
• Closure of Dungeness B, prevention of a new coal fired power station at Kingsnorth and major expansion of energy efficiency and renewables.
Copies of the manifesto can be obtained by on this website under resources.”
FURTHER INFORMATION: Steve Dawe on 01732 355185/ 0845 257 4236 or mobile 07747 036192. Contact address as above. The manifesto will appear on the Kent Green Party website – www.kentgreenparty.org shortly.