West Kent Green Party is standing Dr Hazel Dawe in the Tunbridge Wells East County by election(1). The Party is appalled by Kent County Council’s education record. Hazel Dawe says:
“The Green Party is not surprised that Kent County Council has to find 10,700 primary school places and two new secondary schools in the next four years. Forward planning has never been a strong point at the County Council. For example: 800 children in Kent could not get a place at one of their three preferred primary schools, including in the Tunbridge Wells area, this April(2). Coupled with fundamental inefficiencies in children’s services (3) and declining youth services, the overall picture for children and young people is one of neglect.
“There has been maladministration in the provision of grammar school places, in Tunbridge Wells (4). It is also disturbing that four out of every ten head teachers say their school buildings are unfit for purpose nationwide(5). The Government is adamant that academy schools do not have to keep to current healthy school food standards, undoing years of progress(6).
“Kent Green Party will be discussing practical measures to meet the school places shortfall with speaker Becky Matthews from STEP, the campaign against selective education in Kent, at its June meeting in Wye, near Ashford.” Hazel Dawe adds:
“The Green Party is committed to maintaining services whilst paying off the deficit through introducing a fair tax system(7). Our children and their parents should not receive less from Kent County Council.”
FURTHER INFORMATION: Dr Hazel Dawe, Green Party Candidate for Tunbridge Wells East which is Campaigns Officer of Kent Green Party, on 01732 355185 or 079444 71083. Contact address as above. See Hazel’s blog at http://hazeldawe.blogspot.co.uk/
See also West Kent Green Party news and views at www.westkent.greenparty.org Promoted by H.Dawe and published by Kent Green Party, both at 27 Audley Avenue, Tonbridge, Kent TN9 1XF. Monthly free ezine KENT GREEN NEWS available for subscription at www.kentgreenparty.org
1. 1. West Kent Green Party is one of Kent Green Party’s 10 branches. Dr Dawe was Green Party Candidate for Tunbridge Wells in the last General Election. Dr Dawe is Campaigns Officer of Kent Green Party and a frequent contributor to local radio, TV and newspapers. She is also currently Head of Law Programmes at the Greenwich School of Management after careers in banking and as a University Lecturer in Law.
2. 2. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-17704744
3. 3.See requirements placed upon KCC for improvements: http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/localgovernment/pdf/1869311.pdf
4. 4. According to the Local Government Ombudsman: http://www.lgo.org.uk/complaint-outcomes/education/education-archive-2011-12/kent-county-council-amp-tunbridge-wells-girls-gram/ and see also: http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/education_chiefs_vow_to_avoid_a_repeat_of_serious_flaws_in_tunbridge_wells_1_1381500
5. 5.Jessica Shepherd – English schools too dilapidated to teach in: poll The Observer, 20th May 2012.
6. 6. Toby Helm and Denis Campbell – Academy junk food loophole must be closed, Jamie tells MPs The Observer, 20th May 2012.
7. 7. Specifically, the Green Party supports far higher cigarette and alcohol taxation, additional council tax bands at the top of the current scale, raising Air Passenger Duty and increasing the higher rates of tax for the highest paid. We can pay off the Deficit and maintain public services, by putting an end to self-defeating austerity policies.